White Mushrooms Agaricus
Description: Mushrooms throughout the world are also know as “Buttons”, and depending on variety come in different sizes and colors. Mushrooms typically come in creamy white to off white in color. Mushrooms of a creamy color have the same taste and flavor as mushrooms of off white color. Size can vary from small (button) mushrooms to jumbo (extra large) mushrooms. The best quality mushrooms will be dry, firm, have slightly pink gills and be a closed underside cap.
Storage and Handling:
- Immediately refrigerate after receiving and store between 34°-38°F
- Store between 85-90% humidity
- Keep mushrooms in original packaging until ready to use
- Once opened, store mushrooms in a brown paper bag
- Mushroom will keep for 7 days when stored at proper temperatures
- Do not wash before storage. When ready to use, wipe gently with damp cloth or soft brush to remove dirt. For volume preparation, quickly rinse in cool water; drain. Shake gently to remove excess water. Do not soak mushrooms because they absorb water which speeds up deterioration
- Fresh Mushrooms should never be frozen, but frozen sauteed mushrooms freeze better for on average 30 days
Preparation and Serving Suggestions: Mushrooms can be eaten fresh (raw), in salads, soups, pizzas, grilled, roasted, or baked. When possible gently rinse mushrooms to remove excess dirt to clean the surface. If serving raw a suggestion of lightly sprinkling lemon juice will prevent them from white to brown in color.
Flavor: White mushrooms are pleasingly mild and woodsy in taste. Flavors intensify when cooked.
Package Sizes and Availability: Mushroom packed in Bulk 3, 5 or 10 lb cases are available year round to almost all markets.
Whole #1 Mushrooms
Small (up to 1-1/4″) usually 89 +/- 12 per pound
Medium (1-1/4″-1-3/4″) usually 43 +/- 7 per pound
Large (1-3/4″-2-1/2″) usually 23 +/- 3 per pound
- Sliced 3/16″, 1/4″ thicknesses
- Ingredient #2 grade(Food service, Mix grade)
- Jumbo “Stuffer”Mushroom