Fresh truffles cost hundreds of dollars per pound. A drizzle of truffle oil gives a similar flavor and aroma for a fraction of the price.
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 10 ounces button mushrooms or crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 1/2 9-ounce bags fresh spinach leaves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons truffle oil*
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté until brown and liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Add shallot; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add spinach, 1/3 at a time, to skillet with mushrooms and toss over medium-high heat, allowing each batch to wilt slightly before adding next, about 2 minutes per batch. Sauté just until all spinach is wilted and heated through. Stir in 1 teaspoon truffle oil. Season with salt, pepper, and more truffle oil, if desired. Transfer to bowl and serve.
- *Sold at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Italian markets.